Fantasy success isn't only about having great players; it's also about having mediocre players who exceed expectations. Renowned fantasologist B.J. Rudell predicts which undervalued players will produce hardcore stats in their next game. Learn winning strategies. Dispel century-old myths. Taunt friends who don't know about this site. And return each day for the latest tips, anecdotes, and those prized picks that will make you a legend.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

2007 NFL -- Week 5 Recap -- A Hardcore Daily Double

As a hardcore fantasy player, I've been touring fantasy hot spots throughout the country to gain new insights, which I'm happy to pass on to you. For example, Nashville has a lot of buildings, while Atlanta has a lot more. This is good stuff people; write it down.

Actually, I was in Atlanta this weekend and watched Sunday's early games at a tex-mex sports bar called something-or-other . . . I can't remember. Anyway, my friend Chris and I got there around 12:15pm, which gave me a little time to check last minute news on his wireless laptop. The best fantasy info in the world comes between noon and 12:59pm Eastern Standard Time. The way to win your league is to pay attention to last-minute injury reports.

So at 12:45pm, I learned that Chris's tight end was injured. "Crap, who should I play?" he asked. Rather than belabor the point that he clearly hadn't read my last posting, I gave him two words: "Chris" and "Cooley." (ed. note: my friend's name is Chris, but he's not Chris Cooley, in case that was confusing to some of you).

So he quickly inserted Chris Cooley into his lineup, and about 45 minutes later, Cooley scored a TD.

It's just that simple, folks. Read this blog, and your likelihood of winning will improve. Talk with me face-to-face before the game, and you're gonna kick hardcore butt.

In Week 5 I gave you 2 hardies (Cooley, Eli Manning) and 3 softies (Reggie Bush, Brandon Marshall, 49ers Defense).

And it should be pointed out that Bush, Marshall, and the 49ers D each had solid games. Were they near the top at their position? No. But each exceeded their average stats to date.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, and which I'll keep harping on, fantasy predictions aren't guesses. In their simplest form, they're based on this formula:

talent (plus) motivation (minus) opposing defense

There are surprise performers each week. Keep reading this blog to learn who the next ones will be.

No comments: