Fantasy success isn't only about having great players; it's also about having mediocre players who exceed expectations. Renowned fantasologist B.J. Rudell predicts which undervalued players will produce hardcore stats in their next game. Learn winning strategies. Dispel century-old myths. Taunt friends who don't know about this site. And return each day for the latest tips, anecdotes, and those prized picks that will make you a legend.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Fantasy Foreplay

This is my first hardcore fantasy post. I promise to be gentle.

Over the years I have played a lot of fantasy sports, and I have offered fantasy advice to at least half a dozen people. No joke: 6 people at least. . . .

Since I'm no longer volunteering my time helping inner-city kids, I have been looking for some way to give back to my community. Tonight my friend Justin said, "You should start a blog on fantasy sports, so you can offer advice to more people." A perfect filler to what's been missing in my life . . . and maybe in yours.

Over the next 17 weeks, I will offer fantasy advice on 1 player at each basic fantasy football position, plus 1 defense. These will not be the "obvious" picks offered by some of my wealthier competitors, but rather "below the radar" picks that might just make or break your week--and your season.

What makes me qualified? Two years ago I played SportingNews fantasy football; out of about 150,000 people, I came in 19th place. Four years ago I played SportingNews fantasy baseball; out of over 330,000 people, I came in 1st place. I've consistently finished in the top .01% in my other years. Hell, I even tried hockey twice and finished in the top 50 both times.

The point is, I know fantasy sports, and I know how to make your team better. And if my weekly postings aren't enough, send me an e-mail with your specific question, and I'll give you the best free advice around.

My advice has a consistent theme. Even if you never read this site again, remember these words:

Don't get stuck keeping the same line-up throughout the season; that's like driving in the right lane in dense traffic when the left lane is clear.

In any given NFL week, there will be dozens of surprises. These surprises can mean the difference between mediocrity and victory. This blog will help you spot these surprises.

So get the edge on that turd in Accounting, or on your cocky brother-in-law who thinks he should be a GM. With Hardcore Fantasy Sports Advice, you'll have the edge in making all your fantasies come true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BJ thanks for the knowledge. After my first week of fantasy football I need dreams coming true at least three or four at a time!

Question for you - I struggled this week with which receivers to play. I chose Reggie Brown over both Plaxico Burress in one league and Santonio Holmes in the other. Argh! What do you think about those three this week?

Fantasy B.J. said...

Dear Randy Moss sound-alike,

So sorry to hear about your tough luck. The good news for the Eagles is that they will win this coming Monday when they host the Redskins; coming off a tough loss against the Packers, it's inconceivable the Eagles will lose in Week 2.

That being said, Reggie Brown has yet to prove himself as a certifiable #1. Add to that the likelihood that the Eagles will lead early and big against the 'Skins, meaning less late-game production from McNabb, and you've got the makings of another less-than-stellar performance from Brown.

So start Burress and Holmes. Don't expect the same production out of them, what with Eli Manning hurt and with the Steelers playing a tougher Bills defense. But given your options, Brown should be bunched unless he starts becoming McNabb's go-to guy.